Travel Guides and Tips for Indian Backpackers: A Quick List
Indian backpackers face the problem of plenty. With the daunting but admirable Himalayas on the north and the scintillating backwaters in the south, the tourist is always spoilt for a choice. And then there are so many less celebrated but equally, if not more, delightful corners that even a full season won’t be enough to explore this eclectic country.
So, here are a few travel guides and tips which you will find handy:
Destinations you must visit in India: Even though the country’s every alley is full of wonderment and surprises, one has to narrow down the list for time and budget constraints. Some destinations which you, nevertheless, must check out include the following:
- Jaipur and Udaipur:If you wish to see the real tradition-laced India with all its history and culture intact, then head to the state of Rajasthan. Its two major cities Jaipur and Udaipur are gateways to the medieval era as you saunter through havelis and palaces, forts and fortresses, lakes and gardens!
- Agra:A short trip to Agra is strongly recommended. You cannot deprive your eyes of the magnificence of the Taj Mahal!
- Darjeeling:Though Shimla and Kashmir too are remarkable hill stations of the north, it is Darjeeling with its quaint poetic persona and limitless tea estates which deserves your footsteps.
- Goa:Move over to the west and you come to the best beaches in the country in the small state of Goa! Whether you wish to touch the sky through parasailing or whether you are looking to spam the churches, Goa is your coveted getaway!
- Kerala:Down south, you need to check out Kerala which is ‘God’s Own Country’ thanks to its alluring backwaters and calm oceans. Its hill station Munnar is also a heavily-trodden corner!
A few other friendly tips:
- Take care of your money, jewelry and belongings
- Search for cheap India flights before you go, you might be able to find some deals!
- Do not accept food and drinks from strangers, especially male strangers
- Bargain hard when shopping at local bazaars
- Maintain decorum and rules while visiting temples and monuments